As parents of school-aged children, we all face some homework battles. Some more than others.
Here are 5 fast ways to decrease the drama:
1. Set a timer: Children love clear and defined boundaries. A timer helps set these boundaries for “homework time.”
2. Limit distractions: Turn off the tv, radio, cell phone and Ipad. This includes on your ride home from school. This helps limit any unnecessary “brain power” going to other things besides homework.
3. Positive reinforcement: Encourage but do not compare your children. Some children are more gifted at school work than others. If B’s are the best your child can do at school, then celebrate! Encourage other ways that your child is successful.
4. Be present and consistent: The more consistent your homework routine is, the better the child will respond. Children thrive off consistency!
5. Create a fun, yet calm homework space: This should be a comfortable and clean space. No sticky jelly on the table to interrupt your child’s attention halfway through a great math session!